Thursday 27 August 2015

My South African Experience

As some of you will know I recently spent two weeks in the beautiful country that is South Africa and it is safe to say I have fallen in love. With the country, the people, the food, the animals and the weather. Everything was amazing.

We spent the first week living in the wilderness and I was quite scared about it purely because I didn't know what to expect but it was INCREDIBLE. We saw so many animals and I learnt so much about myself, nature and what is important in life. On the animal side of things got so close to the most magnificent creatures. Within 5-10minutes of being in the wilderness we saw a breeding herd of 20-30 Elephants drinking in the river, Impala, Nyala, Black rhino and Hippo! That day we also saw buffalo, baboons and heard a lion during night watch! We then went on to see giraffe (including babies), zebra, white rhino, more elephants, many more baboon, nyala and impala, wildebeest, hyena, vultures, eagles, warthogs and crocodiles. Thankfully we didn't encounter any snakes or spiders close up which I was very grateful for! I felt so priviledged to be in such close proximity to these wild creatures. Our camps were in incredible locations and our second camp for the 2nd and 3rd nights was right next to a family of baboons whilst our final camp on the 4th night was just 10ft above the river where 3 hippos and 3 crocodiles were! It was amazing that we could get so close to them and just watch them be. (I will dedicate a whole post to my feelings from the wilderness soon!)
The beautiful sunrise over the river below camp 2
Blending in with nature in my neutral coloured clothes!
p.s. who loves my hat??
The food throughout the trip was incredible. In the wilderness we cooked altogether making dishes such as mac'n'cheese, beef stew with biltong (dried beef) and tuna pasta. Lunch was always bread or different variations of crackers with beetroot, mayo, cheese, tomato then dried fruits and sweets and breakfast was porridge or museli which was really tasty. We also had tea, english and Rooibos (redbush), I fell in love with Rooibos, coffee and hot chocolate which was greatly appreciated on nightwatch. Back in civilisation we had lots of different curries including curry bunnies which is minced beef curry with fried dough buns and you put the curry into the bun and then eat it (hence the name curry bunny). However, we also had rice with ours which led our South African counterparts to laugh at us and call it 'Funny Bunnies' because it seemed so alien to them for us to eat rice with it!  I also ate ostrich which I loved, I'd say it was a mix of duck and beef maybe, so tasty! 

South African people are possibly the kindest and most fun people I've ever met. Despite any hardships in their private life they smile and laugh like they haven't got a care in the world. They never complain about their life they just get on and deal with it, such a contrast from people in the Western world, I think we complain way too much about such unnecessary things, we could definitely learn something from the South Africans I met. To them family is so important and they all support one another which is lovely. Another thing I love about them is that they have such rhythm. One night in our second week we had a little dance party in the residence where we were staying. We did things like gangnam style and I think someone did the classic british dance moves like the sprinkler. Then some of the South African guys who were with us cracked out a few moves and it was crazy how they didn't even seem to try they just looked effortlessly cool! They even managed to make 'Happy Birthday' seem cool and almost jazzy. 

During the second week we visited some schools and different projects associated with the Wilderness Foundation and Umzi Wethu (the companies we travelled with). We helped paint the toilets in a school in Motherwell which is the second biggest township in South Africa after Soweto. The toilets make the worst public toilets in the UK almost seem like luxury. There was no toilet roll, broken taps, peeling paint and blocked toilets yet no one complained. It definitely makes me feel so guilty for not appreciating what I have. We then planted trees called 'Spekbooms' which are indigenous to SA and take up a lot of CO2. I enjoyed meeting the students who were the same age as us. They may live hundreds of miles away in such a different country but we have the same troubles like too much homework and we chill out in similar ways such as going to the cinema. I met a lovely girl called Kulula 'Coolz' who was so lovely and we'll hopefully stay in contact! Another place we visited was SAMREC (South African Marine Rehabilitation and Education Centre) where they rescue and rehabilitate penguins and a few other marine animals whilst also educating the public about the importance of looking after our marine life and some of the threats to marine life such as rubbish getting into the sea. I helped out by cleaning syringes and the kitchen of the ICU whilst some of the other hosed down the penguin enclosure. I really enjoyed that day. On another day we visited the beach in PE which was glorious, it wasn't very hot but it was so pretty. The final day saw us visit the Born Free foundation where they look after lions and leopards who can't be released due to mistreatment in their old homes such as circuses and small cages with little food. We also visited Shamwari Rehab centre where they look after animals and then try to release them. This is where Hope lives. Hope is a rhino who's horn was cut off by poachers but they cut into her face and into her nasal passage making it difficult for her to breathe. We couldn't see her because she is in such a bad way and if she survives it could take 2 years for the wound to heal. If you want to see the picture I'm sure it's on google, it is very graphic though I warn you! 

Planting my Spekboom! 
A little penguin in the ICU at SAMREC
Overall, the two weeks I spent in South Africa were incredible. I met the best people I hope I will still be friends with in 20-30 years time. I fell in love with the country and I cannot wait to visit again. And I learnt so much about life, I became stronger in myself and I feel more ready to grow up now. I still get scared but I know that a little bit of fear is good I just can't let it hold me back otherwise I will regret it. 


The beautiful Atlantic Ocean from the beach in PE

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed!
Charlotte
XO

2 comments:

  1. Really lovely blog post, I would love to go to South Africa one day :) Can't wait to see the pictures! xx

    blogjustabubble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh thank you!! It's one of my favourite countries ever!! Ah they'll be up really soon! Xx

    ReplyDelete