Monday 20 July 2015

Do What You Love


Possibly the best advice I've ever been given and have since given to so many other people is 'do what you love'. 

A lot of younger people ask me what subjects to take for A-level or GCSE and I always tell them to do what they enjoy because I honestly think that is the most important thing in life. To enjoy it. Life is short so we have to make the most of it and can't let time go by doing things that make us unhappy. I also think that if you love something you're going to work harder and strive for success more. 

Unfortunately I think a lot of people stop doing things they love or do things they don't enjoy because of pressure. Whether it's from school, society, parents or friends there is a pressure which manipulates your behaviour and activities. I think the best example of this is ballet. Almost every girl I know did ballet when they were 4 or 5. 90% of these girls quit when their friends began to quit or when they thought they weren't good enough. Of this 90%, 99% (sorry lots of numbers I know!) of them regret quitting and always seem to wish that they'd continued. The same goes for other hobbies such as playing instruments or a doing sport.

When I was choosing my subjects I was lucky that my parents weren't pushy and let me do what I wanted to do but I know of other people whose parents set a standard they had to meet by doing 7 A-levels and 20 GCSEs (I'm over exaggerating but you know what I mean).  And I really feel sorry for these people because I can't imagine not being able to do what I enjoy and having to do what other people want you to. 

I got the inspiration for this post from going horse riding yesterday. I used to have my own horse and I rode all the time but I had to stop because I just didn't have time. But it made me so happy to just sit with the horses and take silly selfies and talk to them without being on my phone constantly. Horses are such chilled animals and you (or me definitely) always feel like they're listening to you. I'm not crazy I promise! 

How could horse selfies not make anyone happy?
So, what I'm trying to say is while it is important to do what you love in a wider sense like your job, subjects etc. I really think it's important to do something you love on an daily basis. For example, listen to your favourite song or see your favourite people or doing a hobby. It's so important to enjoy your life and make the most of everything. Obviously I know that everyone has down days when they feel really crappy but doing something you enjoy can really cheer you up. For me it's rowing/working out and lots of loud music I can sing and dance to! 

The other side of this quote I feel I need to broach briefly is that you shouldn't let the pressures of society or school or friends stop you from pursuing what you love. If you love it, go for it and forget what other people might say or what they would rather you do. It's your life so live it how YOU want it! 

Thanks for reading chums! 
Charlotte 
XO




9 comments:

  1. I completely agree, at the end of the day it's YOUR life and no one else's, people can try and control it but it's always important to live it the way you want to live and make your own choices :) http://coffeeatmidnight13.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very true. I love horses and they are my life, i am even doing a degree about them. The thing is, if you do something that you love you are already on to a winner because the passion for the subject will keep you motivated and happy. If you are pursuing something you are not that interested in, it is a lot harder to find motivation to get out of bed in the morning! Fab post charlotte :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't want You to think that I'm just spamming but if there is any chance You can find few seconds to check my blog that would be a big privilege. It's really hard to start existing. Thank You for Your attention. http://lilianndehn.blogspot.com/
    I love horses as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great post to read! I tend to always do what others want but I'm trying to stick to what I want. I need to do more of the things I want to do even if I have to do them alone, which is a big issue for me.


    http://perlasancheza.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thank you! Be strong and do what you want because it is YOUR life. Don't feel guilty for doing what you want, you have every right to. If someone else wants to do something that's fine but if it doesn't make you happy don't do it! Hope this is helpful to you! x

      Delete
  5. I know! ah i love that quote! x

    ReplyDelete