Sunday 10 January 2016

Little Reminders

Winter is never a rower's favourite time. Endless ergs, unrowable rivers and dark evenings all take its toll on an athlete. You sometimes end up wondering why you even do it, why put yourself through the pain, bitter cold and tiredness?? But then something will happen and you fall back in love with it instantly. 

I've been struggling with my erg scores for around 2 weeks, my legs have felt heavy yet empty and powerless and I will admit I was struggling and in need of a real pick me up. Thankfully having two really positive outings was the remedy I was so desperately in need of. For once the rain had ceased, the sky was blue and the water was flat- perfect rowing conditions. 

First outing was long with 3' rate changes and while it took me about 2k to get back into the rhythm I'd found before Christmas, soon the 8+ was picking up and it felt good. The second session, also in the 8, was the true reminder of why I love this sport and why I allow myself to occasionally be tormented by it and why I put myself through such physical (and mental) pain. All we did was low rate, steady paddling for 6k but it felt amazing. The boat just seemed to gel and yes, we did have a few wobbles occasionally but the strokes where we got it right and worked in unison to move the boat felt so good. It was, of course, by no means perfect, it was a scratch crew with all 8 of us having individual aspects to work on but it was such an uplifting session. We have 2 months until Women's Head of the River on the Tideway and a lot of work to put in if we want to perform well then so having sessions that make you feel this good are exactly what you need to bring back the drive and motivation you may have temporarily lost. If these crew can feel this good in one outing, imagine how it will feel in 2 months time! 

Another time, just before Christmas, that gave me a little reminder of why I do this sport and commit to the training was rowing in the dark one evening. I'd done it before at school a few times but for some reason this felt different. At first I felt (and probably looked) completely useless and like I'd never sat in a boat before but I eventually found my rhythm and I started to feel a slight sense of euphoria.  The darkness (obviously) resulted in limited vision so I couldn't see the person I was following which made me more reliant on my other senses. The biggest part was feeling the boat and the movement around me, it was a lot like rowing with your eyes closed which is an exercise I love anyway, but also hearing the movement is important too. The sound of all 8 blades entering the water at the same time. All 8 sets of legs driving at the same time and all 8 people finishing the stroke together, as a crew. 

I'm not over-exaggerating when I say it almost felt magical. Aside from the sound of the coaches launch and the occasional words from the cox, there was no sound other than the boat, and that is a sound I absolutely LOVE. It's so difficult for me to put into words but I loved it so much and I rowed most of the way back with a smile on my face (despite tired legs).

What I'm trying to say (in a not at all concise or brief way) is that we occasionally lose sight or forget what we love, or why we love it. These little reminders are so important to put us back on track or give us that boost of energy to keep striving for our goals or working towards our dreams. 

So next time you feel a little lacklustre or a bit down, remind yourself of what you love and go out and do it. I promise you'll feel 100000% better for it! 

Thanks for Reading
Charlotte
XO


1 comment:

  1. I love this post. I'm a new rower and a lot of the times I ask myself why I joined crew. All the older rowers say it's worth it in the spring, during the racing season (we're conditioning on the ergs right now) but it's hard for me to believe them because I've never raced! But today, I broke my PR and now I understand why they keep coming back. It feels amazing to know that the work you put in pays off.

    ReplyDelete