Thursday 24 September 2015

How to Adult

As scary as it may be I, and so many other people, are currently in the transition from teenager to adult. For the past two and a half weeks I have been completely independent. Doing my washing, food shopping, going to work, doing ironing, scheduling and generally learning how to adult. So to help those who are off to uni, or others who are leaving uni and heading into the big wide world I thought I'd share some tips on how to adult effectively. 


  1. Plan Plan Plan. This is something that will keep you from forgetting or failing. Have a big diary with at least half a page per day (I prefer a whole page for each day) so you can write down all your appointments, your to-do list etc. I also use my diary for food planning (see point 3). If you write down everything you will never forget it, I have done this for about a month now and I've not forgotten a thing. 
  2. Do your washing. It may seem tedious but it only takes 2 minutes and what would you rather; spend a couple of minutes doing your washing and have lovely clean clothes or wear dirty clothes and smell bad/ wear clothes that don't actually fit you anymore? 
  3. Plan your meals. I have been doing this since I became more independent and it's helped me stay on track with being healthy. If you just go into the supermarket and buy whatever you want chances are it'll be random, less healthy food and you won't even be able to make decent meals out of it. So what I suggest is plan your meals then do your food shopping around what you need for those meals
  4. Stay tidy. It's simple, life is just some much easier when everything is tidy and you know where everything is. Being tidy will help you to stay organised and efficient!
  5. Write lists. I have become addicted to carrying a notebook with me (plus my diary) pretty much where ever I go. I write extra to-do lists, notes and my shopping list down and it's extremely hand to always have with you!
  6. Go to bed. Even though there is probably something on TV or Netflix that you really want to watch your body will thank you for having an early night. Especially if you work early/have early lectures. Who wouldn't want a few hours in bed over a TV show which you can watch on catch up tomorrow!
  7. Cheese. Yes I realise this is slightly odd but cheese will save any meal. Boring brown rice...add grated cheese. Plain salad...add mozzarella. Basic chicken and  potato....add halloumi. Seriously, cheese rescues every meal, I eat it everyday and I think I'm slightly obsessed. 
  8. Tea is your friend. And if you don't like tea have coffee. It'll wake you up and in the winter months (which it already feels like where I live) it'll warm you up!
  9. Talk to your parents often. While you may argue when you're together everyday, keep them updated on how your life is going! In the first week they may seem overly interested (or at least mine did) but that soon dies down and you'll be grateful that they care!
  10. Don't lose touch with your friends. It's going to be so difficult to  all meet at one time, keep in touch with those school friends who really care about you. At the end of the day, they're some of the people who know you best so try your hardest not to lose touch with them! 
  11. Have fun! Yes, learning what to do and how to actually live is hard and making mistakes will happen. Enjoy being young, making new friends and learning about life! 
Hope this was helpful! 

Much love,
Charlotte
XO

1 comment:

  1. I love your tips! Tea is DEFINITELY your friend - I used to really hate tea when I was little because I would only drink it when I had a cold, but I've learned to love it so much and now I have about 2-3 cups every day ^.^ Planning is also really important. My first food shop didn't go too well - I ended up forgetting half the stuff I needed because I was just used to it being there at home. So writing lists is a must, my phone is full of them hahah. Have a lovely day xx

    blogjustabubble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete