Wednesday 2 July 2014

Summer Ball

Hello everyone! 

For many of you prom/ball season is now over and for me it is too. Last Saturday (28th June) was my first ever ball. I didn't really know what to expect. I was excited but also very nervous. I'd had a spray tan the day before and in general it looked okay if not a little too orange (live and learn!). By midday I had my friends come over to get ready and I was still unsure of hairstyle, makeup and nail colour! The only certainty was my dress! 

Eventually I found a wrap around plait look with curls and I loved it (even if, due to my ridiculously heavy hair, the curls were more like waves by the time I actually got to the ball!). For my makeup I chose to keep it simple with a brown smoky eye as heavy black makeup just doesn't suit me. However, I did use black eyeliner and I decided to try the Maybelline New York 'Master Precise' liquid eyeliner. It hugged my lash line perfectly and created a lovely wing which didn't cause me too much hassle! For my lips I used the Kate Moss for Rimmel London Lasting Finish lipstick in 05 (mentioned in my previous post). It stayed on for a decent amount of time, through multiple glasses of wine, Pimms, Prosecco and dinner! 

As my dress was blue and silver I decided on white nails using the Rimmel London 60 Seconds 'White Hot Love' from the new Rita Ora collection. I was surprised that I only needed to apply two coats to get an even coverage. With the addition of the quick drying I highly recommend this nail polish! 

I'm not really a huge jewellery fan so I kept it simple with silver earrings and  rings (two of which I think I lost during the dancing). Due to a special occasion at school the ball was masquerade and while I had dreamt of having a gorgeous silver Venetian Filigree mask it didn't arrive in time. So thanks to my mum and an urgent dash to the nearest dress shop she managed to find a silver one. In the end I wore it for about 3 minutes before realising very few people had theirs on and promptly took it off! 


Before leaving the house my mum bought some Prosecco and despite already consuming (rather strong) Pimms we had pre-drinks and pictures. It turned into a complete photo shoot with numerous poses and locations around my house and garden. Then we set off to school where a marquee had been set up. 

The ball itself consisted of a formal sit-down meal which was delicious but it turns out eating chicken and some peas is extremely difficult if you're not sober! This meal was followed by short speeches and then DANCING. We had a live band play and they were amazing. I was a little hesitant before as I've experienced small live bands before and truthfully they were pretty awful! But this band played really current songs (but also some classics thankfully) and everyone seemed to really enjoy themselves. The dancing went far too quickly and before we knew it we were being told to leave. 


However, the night didn't stop there. We decided to go back to a friend's house for a while before heading home. Unfortunately this friend lives at the top of a hill and walking up a hill with sore feet and being intoxicated is extremely difficult. I vaguely remember falling onto a wall numerous times and one of my closest friends walking up the middle of the road wearing shoes 7 sizes too big. Eventually we made it there alive and spent a while chatting and having fun before it was time to head home. 

Now I remember coming home and getting into bed yet I have no recollection of getting undressed, taking off my makeup or taking out my contact lenses (a tricky job even when 100% sober) and neither do my friends. It is highly likely I exposed too much when getting changed as my dress was backless so I went bra-less! I was also unable to undo my dress by myself so someone must have helped me?! 

I can safely say it was the best night I've had in a very long time. It was the perfect way to round of a generally good school year. I've only got one week left of year 12 and then I'm in my final year! I don't feel old enough yet to be going to university or thinking about my future! I've already attended 3 open days and i have enjoyed them all so my decision is going to be extremely difficult! 

A few photos from the night.......







Thank you for reading this week's post. I'll see you soon! 

Much Love
Charlotte
xo


2 comments:

  1. you look beautiful in your pictures! love your dress as well! i was just wondering what shoes you wore with your dress? being tall myself, i struggle finding a nice pair of formal shoes that don't make me tower over everyone else

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thank you! sorry it toook me so long to reply I've been super busy! i wore simple flats from new look which had cut out detailing and some little gems. I find pretty sandals are always your best bet with dresses. If it was a party I'd probably wear pumps of some kind!

      Delete