Sunday 11 October 2015

Be Brave

There's a phrase one of my coaches used to say all the time when we were on the ergs which really motivated me. He'd say 'be brave'. He'd tell us push through the pain and believe in yourself and it's something I'm trying to put into my real life.

For about 2-3 years I let anxiety control me, I stayed within my comfort zone and didn't challenge myself. I just wasn't brave. I kind of remained in my shell and didn't venture out of it unless I was with friends I trusted with my life. But since I've been thrown head first into the adult world I'm feeling more confident and I'm learning to be brave and just put myself out there (but not in that way!). 

I basically have no choice but to be confident now, I can't just get my mum to do everything for me, I'm a real life adult now. But being confident and brave is quite a new thing to me but I like it. I don't feel as anxious (there's still some anxiety there) in new situations or meeting new people, I actually feel comfortable doing it. I don't shy away from giving my opinion and speaking up when I have something to say and it's great. 

Being brave takes some courage but it's so worth it for the results. I've never felt more in control of my life and generally happy with the direction it is taking (aside from worrying about UCAS, resitting and reapplying to uni). I think what I mean is in my actual self and who I'm becoming as a person is actually someone I like! 

When it comes to being brave, to quote Nike, just do it. If you think for too long you'll talk yourself out of it so just say yes! You never know you may actually have a good time and meet new people and make friends. Or it may not work out but you'll have learnt from it so it's never a bad thing! Being brave means you take a risk, you risk being judged or wrong or even being hurt but 99% of the time nothing like that will happen and if someone does judge you then that's there problem not yours! If you can just let go and enjoy yourself then that's what really matters.

But being brave doesn't mean you can't worry at all, it's okay to worry and it's not a bad thing but you can't let it hold you back. One thing my trail guide in SA said that's been one of the main things I've kept with me since the trip is 'Don't let fear hold you back'. From experience I also know to not let it hold me back as some of my best memories come from situations I was so nervous about to begin with but once I was there or once I'd done it I had the best time! If you let fear hold you back you'll never really live. You'll stay in your sheltered, safe life which is fine occasionally but it is so important just to live. Spend time with friends. Meet new people. Go new places and don't let anything hold you back. You just have to be B R A V E. 

I found this and like it very much: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/shyness-is-nice/201305/50-ways-you-can-be-brave-today 

Thanks for reading,
Charlotte
XO

No comments:

Post a Comment