Tuesday 3 June 2014

Life of a Rower

Hello lovely internet people! I hope you enjoyed my first post , I was so happy to see that people were actually reading it. I thought I would post it but no one would read it so if you did read it THANK YOU! Also, huge thank you to the lovely Charlotte (not me I promise) who helped my come up with the blog name and URL and is simply one of THE kindest people I know. 

For today's post I thought I would discuss rowing as it is such a big part of who I am. It all began when the rowing coach at school saw the length of my legs (or levers as they have since been called numerous times) and demanded I join the rowing club in year 9 (aged 13). Now, I've never been naturally good at sports. I had to try lacrosse, netball, hockey and athletics during school games lessons but I was always one of the worst. Instead I was more at home in the saddle, having ridden since I was 5 years old. 
My beautiful Daedalus


The first time I sat in a boat was extremely nerve-racking but I knew I just had to continue, there was something propelling me to learn more. What I didn't know was how challenging it was going to be. I was quite unfit and was always the slowest runner but I didn't give up. For our first race I was in the A quad and while we didn't win it was a memorable experience (perhaps not for racing but for one of my friends throwing up on the bus....delightful).  After that we continued to train and race at national events frequently. It felt nice to finally be good at something and to also meet some people who are now some of my closest friends.  

As I entered year 10 a problem occurred. My quadriceps had grown too quickly for my knees and I had developed Osgood Schlatter  (the name still makes me laugh, even now). Training on ergos (rowing machines) became increasingly painful along with squats and other activities. To this day I still get pain but I've learnt to overcome it now (almost). But my training was put on hold and as I watched teammates achieve a seat in the top 8 and I was left in a quad (four people, two blades). While I was happy to be in a boat it is extremely difficult watching people who were on par with you overtake you. But I didn't let this hold me back. I put everything into my training and at National Schools Regatta we reached the final of the J15 coxed quads. I had also wanted to be in the J15 four (four people, one blade) but due to an ICT GCSE I was unavailable. When I discovered this I started to cry and at first I couldn't understand why, surely it's just a race, right? Wrong. A sudden realisation hit me about how much rowing meant to me. It's difficult to put into words....not great if I'm trying to write a blog about it.....nice one Charlotte.

Anyway, I came back in year 11 with rested knees and my training improved. By November I had a seat in the top 8. We trained hard, gaining in confidence and came second at Schools Head of the River in Championship girls 8s. Motivated by this we trained solidly, mornings (getting up at 5:40) and evenings plus Saturday mornings. When it came to the day of National Schools the nerves were certainly making themselves noticed by giving me HUGE butterflies the whole morning (struggling to stomach breakfast is not good on race day). We qualified for the final and in the final we came second again but with a small margin between us and first. Our training had paid off. The feeling of seeing our name on the scoreboard is one I'll keep with me for the rest of my life, I think my face says it quite well......


After National Schools we went to Women's Henley and while it didn't go as well it was an experience I have definitely learnt from. 

Now to this year. We have a new coach and I've stepped up my training even more. During winter I managed to get personal bests on numerous ergos which provided me with a huge confidence boost (which was much needed as my self-confidence is very small). We tried to do the 8 again but something just didn't work. Instead, after seat trials in Seville (another blog post is needed for this I feel) and numerous ergo tests I was put into the top four. We raced at Wallingford Regatta (held at Eton Dorney, the location for the 2012 London Olympic s) and came 2nd. Then at National Schools we won the semi-final only to come 5th in the final. After that race I can safely say I don't think I've ever felt so disheartened. I felt that I had let so many people down but my coach told me this: 'The way you come back from this will define who you are as an athlete'. Those were exactly the words I needed to hear. I want to be the strongest athlete I can be so I refuse to let one race ruin my chances of that. 

Glorious Sevilla
Women's Henley is fast approaching and with all focus on that our training is as rigorous as ever. There is something about rowing that is difficult to explain unless you've experienced. If you asked me if I enjoyed rowing my response would be along the lines of 'urm....well.....yeah I guess....but...'. The pain that comes with rowing is tough, the burning in your lungs, legs and glutes feeling like they are on fire 100m into a 2km race. But yet something in you tells you to keep going and I'm yet to pinpoint exactly what it is that is telling me 'NO, DON'T STOP NOW. YOU'VE GOT THIS. YOU CAN DO THIS'. It could be my strive for success, my fear of failure, my desire to please, fear of letting people down and of embarrassment or it could be my competitive streak and the fact that I HATE being beaten! If I find out I'll let you know. I do, quite often, dislike rowing, but I love it one thousand times more. The feeling after a 50minute ergo, 2km test or a piece on the water when you know you couldn't have given anymore is incredibly pleasing. Watching yourself and your teammates improve and progress is so rewarding and knowing there are always people who know almost exactly how you are feeling is something I will be forever grateful for. We frequently stay away for events and nights can end up looking a lot like this....
9 in the bed...


So, where now? Well I've trialled for Wales and should (fingers crossed) be hearing if I've got in or not within the next few days. Obviously my big dream is to get into GB but I know I have a humongous amount of work to do before I am anywhere near close! Something else my coach told me (he's full of good advice) is: 
      'You never know what's impossible until you try'
I can safely say I'm not done trying yet.

I feel a little photo montage is necessary.....

But first..let me take a selfie
Who doesn't love a coxless quad!

One of the many trips out

Going to collect our medals!

Happy girls!

Yes that is my coach who is full of inspirational quotes....that's also me getting my 'Club Member of the Year Award' at the recent Rowers Ball....extremely surprised and thankful for it!


I apologise for such a long post (I told you I was obsessed!) I hope that you enjoyed it and if you'd care to comment below please feel free. On my tumblr  I frequently post lovely rowing pictures. Also the wonderful Amy has a delightful rowing blog so go and check her out if you have a chance! I hope this post may have inspired you to give something new a try, whether it be rowing, another sport or a new hobby. Try it, you never know how much you might enjoy it. 
               

Much love
Charlotte 
xo

6 comments:

  1. Hi Charlotte, I found this blog post really inspirational, I wish I’d stuck with sport myself but this has inspired me to consider other possibilities that may come up. I think it’s great that you kept going even with the pain and I love the competitive streak!

    Kate xx
    http://kateswirled.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate! Aw I'm glad you found it inspirational! Its never too late to try whether it be a sport or a new hobby. It was a struggle but it's been worth it, it just made me more determined to come back stronger!
      Thanks for having a look at my blog!

      Charlotte xx

      Delete
  2. Love it! It's fascinating to read your journey though the sport, and thank you for mentioning mee (I feel blessed)!!
    Amy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started rowing this year so I understand what you're saying! We have winter conditioning right now, and my splits aren't that great (I'm the slowest one) but hopefully I can improve by water season.

    ReplyDelete