Friday 12 December 2014

Let It Go

'LET IT GOOOOO LET IT GOOOOOO DON'T HOLD IT BACK ANYMORE' yes these words may be the lyrics to one of the best (but also one of the most overplayed) song of the year but they're also a new mantra I'm trying to live by. For years I've been shy, introverted and uncomfortable with myself, especially in social situations or when the attention may be put onto me. However, more recently I'm becoming so much more comfortable and happy with myself and it's simply because I've started to let go.

When you actually think about it who really cares what you do? At times it can really feel like the whole world is watching you and at times lots of people will have their eyes on you, but it's not every minute of everyday. I'm pretty sure when you're having fun with your friends you rarely look at every single person and think 'what the hell are they doing?'. If you did it would reduce the fun you're having in your own group and quite frankly it's nasty! I know that when I'm out shopping or at school I'm involved in what my friends are doing, not what other people do. However, if someone is fooling around it's quite likely that i'll just look over at them and think that they look like they're enjoying themselves instead of judging.

I think one of the most important qualities a person can have is confidence because if you're confident you exude friendliness and warmth (but there is a very slim line between confidence and arrogance so don't cross it!). Be confident in yourself because you are the only you there is and that's great. The appropriately named 'Let It Go' by the glorious James Bay has a lovely lyric which says 'Why don't you be you and I'll be me' and I can't think of a better way to phrase it. Also, be HAPPY about being you, we only get one life so live it how you want to. 

I recently did something so out of my comfort zone I may as well have been on a different planet but it made me feel so good about myself after. I dressed up as Santa and danced across a stage in front of 600+ people. If you know me you know that I don't dance, I don't perform and I despise being on stage but I simply thought to myself, it's my last year at school, screw it I'll do it! And I did it, I didn't trip, I didn't die and I actually enjoyed myself. I simply let go of what was holding me back for years and years before.

I look good right?

This time last year was my first Sixth Form disco but I didn't go because I had such a big panic attack I made myself ill. Fast forward to now and I went to the disco (in a bed sheet toga as my costume) and I had a great night. Yes, I had a drink before and during but again I simply let go. I stopped caring what others thought about me, my outfit, my makeup or my hair and I simply danced and enjoyed my last school disco. It always helps to have your friends with you and I'm lucky enough to have some amazing friends who stuck by my side the whole night because they knew I might get a little anxious (thank you, you know who you are!). 

I used to be, and still am to a certain extent, very self conscious. I have quite a large forehead, I often hate being so tall and I worry about my appearance too much. But I think I'm slowly learning to accept myself. I can't change my forehead size, I can't change my height unless I break my legs or do something ridiculous so why should I worry about it. If you can't change something you might as well learn to love it instead of hating yourself! Life is here to be enjoyed and not to waste time worrying and disliking yourself!

So, moral of the story is: wear what you want, do what you want, dance how you want and BE HAPPY. There is nothing more important that your own happiness! 


Much Love
Charlotte
XO



No comments:

Post a Comment