Saturday 4 July 2015

June Favourites

Summer is officially here, I'm writing this at 11:30 at night and it is 25 degrees which admittedly isn't a lot for some countries but it is rather uncommon here in the UK. June has come and gone quick as a flash, filled with a range of emotions, exams, rowing and of course some new favourites!! 

Orange is the New Black Season 3 was released this month on Netflix and I'm not ashamed to say I've already finished it. I found this season so much more entertaining than the others and I definitely laughed more. I am slightly bored with the Piper/Alex story line and I'm not sure I actually like the character Piper has become but I'm loving all of the other characters. Suzanne or 'Crazy Eye's' has become one of my favourites along with Pennsatucky and the Prison staff who have had much more of a leading role in this season. The season had some great story lines which tackled some extremely interesting themes and topics, some of which were so relevant to today's society such as Sophia's struggles as a transgender woman.

On the subject of LGBT, America has announced gay marriage is legal in all states in the country which is a miraculous breakthrough for all. Why it was ever illegal I will never quite comprehend but it is such a milestone I won't complain. (Not actually sure if this is a favourite I'm just happy it's finally happened)

On a more superficial level, I recently had a spray tan for the Summer Ball and I realised how much I love being tanned. being so pale I never really tan that much but it makes me look soooo much healthier and my skin looks much better and I feel more confident. I've also been loving my Naked Palette which I used for the ball. I opted for a goldy-browny eye which I really liked. But I have also been using it on a daily basis using 'Naked' and 'Buck' to get a nice neutral eye. 

June has been a brilliant month for music releases and festivals, namely Glastonbury. Rita Ora released 'Poison' which I'm obsessed with and I also discovered Galantis- 'You and I' which is possibly my current favourite song. The Weeknd's 'Can't Feel My Face' is a new song which I love too. Of course I'm still playing Taylor Swift's 1989 album on repeat as she continues to slay the whole world with her talent and style (see what I did there?!). My final favourite song is Sam Feldt and De Hofnar 'Bloesem' I have absolutely no idea when it was released but I found it on Facebook when a video  of one of the most beautiful men I've ever seen came up on my timeline. I don't know what I fell in love with more, the song or the guy!

I have a Spotify account but I don't have premium so I get the really annoying ads and can only skip 6 songs (which for a serial skipper like me is rather inconvenient) so I have upgraded to premium (just for the free month). It is safe to say I'm loving having unlimited access to so many songs. I personally enjoy listening to music from the Noughties, the kind of things I grew up with like Sugababes, Liberty X, All Saints, Steps, S Club 7 and Will Young (I was quite a girl group fan!). 












Ice cubes have, randomly, been my saviour as the temperature is hotting up and I'm forever feeling so hot and dehydrated. I recently put them into my water bottle for training but by the time I got there they had already melted!! Ice cubes and fruit juice like apple and mango or tropical are a highly recommended combo for a quick burst of refreshment! 

I recently got the 'Deliciously Ella' cookbook and I'm beyond excited to try some of the recipes. The smoothies and juices section looks delicious and some of the sweet treats and main courses looked and sound  incredible. I'm also excited to try Tanya Burr's cake recipes (I realise quite a contrast from the healthiness of Deliciously Ella but you have to treat yourself sometimes!). Her triple chocolate cookies look insanely good as well as the Apple Pie and the Sunday cake!

For once I actually have a fashion favourite with my New Look sandals. I wore these to the ball as I decided I wanted a heel but I knew I would wear them casually too. They were a complete bargain at just £12.99 and they're so comfy and I love the thick bar across the toes. I love them so much I've just bought them in a brown/tan colour too! 



Since Women's Henley we haven't been out in crew boats which has given me a chance to work on myself in a single. I'm going to be completely honest and say that I'm not that great a sculling. When I was younger we never spent much time in singles and so I just didn't get the practice but I definitely am getting better and more confident with every session. I know when I go to uni I'll be doing a lot of singles work so I'm hoping to get even better (if I don't something is obviously going wrong!!). There is something special about being in a single that is moving nicely, with the sound of a trickle from the run of the boat, the sun shining in the sky and just you and your thoughts which I absolutely love. 

These have been my June favourites, what're yours?? 


Thanks for reading!!
Charlotte
XO



2 comments:

  1. great post! the cookbook looks amazing!
    http://lilytalkss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I know I can't wait to properly try out all the recipes!

      Delete