Sunday 8 February 2015

Teamwork

As the awful January weather started to set in, river sessions were taken over by land sessions of circuits, running, interval training and ergos. So to try and keep training enjoyable the coaches mixed it up a bit.

One session in particular has stayed in my memory. We completed a strength and conditioning circuit and were then told to get into teams and prepare for an 8km team ergo. The thought of this got me less than excited because usually when we do team ergos each team gets so competitive and caught up in the moment that we almost focus too much on beating the person next to us and not focusing on our own technique, control and setting a good rhythm. I also worry so much about letting the team down.

But this time was different. Before our coach had even set us off we encouraged each other to just compete with yourself because at the end of the day we're all going to be in the same boat. Then, from the word 'GO' we just focused on what we were each doing, and how each of us could help our team.

I set off for my team first and everyone was cheering for me, meaning I felt so supported. The music blaring around the gym was mixed with cheers, praise and encouragement to spur each other on. To the outside of lacrosse players and hockey players we probably looked insane and slightly strange. But, on the inside we were a team trying to get the best out of everyone until the metre count hit 0. 

I know that each team and each individual gave their all, and while I was so happy that the team I was on came in 1st, I was more glad of how much effort everyone had put in. As Captain I've been really trying to get everyone, including the younger members of the club, to gel together and become a team. Looking around the gym as we'd all finished the 8km I felt so proud of the teamwork we'd all shown. 

The following week we were unleashed from the restraints of the ergo and played game after game of benchball. Now, rowers are not know for their hand-eye coordination and are often useless at ball games. But many of us were surprisingly good at it. I'd never played before but the aim was relatively simple so I just ran and pounced on the ball as much as I could. Half way through the first game it was clear to see a lot of people tiring and with no breaks, just constant running, it wasn't surprising. This was when the team aspect really kicked in. The sports hall was full of the noise and echo of squeaking trainers but more importantly, of cheers. That is one of the highlights of my year so far and I really think it is something that will stay in my memory when I leave the club. 

I believe teamwork is essential and unavoidable throughout life. But I wasn't always the greatest team player. In class I was too shy to contribute so I let everyone else do the work or as I got a bit more confident I would get fed up of people not doing it how I wanted it to be done and would just takeover completely. But being a member of a team where you need everyone to give 110% has taught me what it really means to be a team player. You have to support and help each other through every challenge you face, you can't be selfish and you have to listen to what people have to say. 

Whenever we go out on the water we always have a debrief after to discuss what went well and what needs improving because we value and respect each others opinion. If someone is injured we will literally carry them to a chair to rest. Of course, we don't always get on and there are sometimes little conflicts but I think if we agreed on everything it would be weird and something definitely wouldn't be right. The fact that we always make up afterwards shows we really are a team. Lets just hope this team makes it to the podium of the Champ 8s at National Schools in May!

This teamwork took us to win gold this weekend at Hampton Head in the WJ18 4+ category and I was so happy I cried. We also did so well in the 8, coming 4th so I'm so happy and determined that, as a team, we can make it!


Much Love 
Charlotte 
XO




No comments:

Post a Comment